Thursday, November 10, 2011

Where I come from.

I thought it would be fun today to introduce you to my hometown.

Leesburg, Florida: Population 19,086 (As of 2005 and according to good ole' Wikipedia, ha). Who knows what it is now.

Located right smack dab in the middle of the Sunshine State.


 Welcome to Leesburg:

I'm a born and raised Leesburg girl. My Mom and Dad are both from here.

This is historic downtown Leesburg back in the day

What it looks like today.

They have really made an effort to beautify the downtown area. And it's really become one of my favorite places in this city. The law office where I work is located right off downtown.

They not too long ago built a beautiful new library.

Our one and only hospital.

This is not the hospital back in 1984 where a brown haired, brown-eyed little girl was born.
The hospital I was born  at was waaaaay smaller and turned into the North Campus of LRMC (Leesburg Regional Medical Center.)

Leesburg is surrounded by a chain of lakes. Thus, why it is called the Lake Front City!




This is what you can find while sitting at Venetian Gardens, one of our local parks.

My brother and I went to Leesburg High School. Home of the Yellow Jackets.
 
I'm class of 2002 baby!

My Mom and Dad also graduated from here.

Good times in these halls. Sometimes I'd go back just so I wouldn't wish those four years away.

So yeah, I found this interesting piece of knowledge while doing some research on good ole' Leesburg.

Ummm, do you see the orange? In the words of Antoine Dodson.... "Hide Yo Purse, Hide Yo wallet." Please do let this hinder you from visiting Leesburg.

Anyhow........

Just as a little history for you, Leesburg was first settled in 1857 by Evander McIver Lee. Several of Evander Lee's brothers followed him to the area. One of these brothers, Calvin Lee, was credited with giving the town its name.

More and  more people I went to high school with that left to go away to college are back, married, and settling with there families here. I have ALWAYS been the person that could NOT wait to get out of Leesburg. Not going to lie, nothing to do in this forsaken place. For real. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. It kind of stinks for the younger people. Leesburg is a little less than an hour north of Orlando. Thank heavens or we'd lose our minds up in here.

I never imagined Leesburg to be the place where I'd stay put. Leesburg is growing by leaps and bounds but it still maintains it's small town feel. It will always be my first home. My permanent home, no. But will always have a piece of my heart. It's my hometown, how can it not?

Now that I've bored you to tears about Leesburg.... What's your hometown? What's your favorite thing about the place you call home??? 

6 comments:

Jess said...

Funny.... I've read your blog for a while but never knew that's where you were, lol. I mean, I knew you were in the Orlando area, but didn't make the Leesburg connection.

I'm slightly southwest of you, lol. We need to arrange a Central Florida Bloggers meet-up, lol.

Aishlea said...

I'm actually from a very small TINY town in the northeast corner of Alabama. However, we've always claimed Chattanooga as home because we work here, go to church here, and all of our fun things to do are here! Chattanooga has awesome family things to do like the Aquarium and the Choo Choo, and wonderful eating and shopping! We are also very centrally located to Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham and Knoxville.

Leslie said...

I'm from Fluker, Louisiana. A small village that literally has more cows than people. No red lights, stores just one stop sign, a post office and few family businesses. The next closest town is Kentwood, Louisiana (home of Britney and Jamie Lynn Spears :)).

I have moved from there to Baton Rouge, LA, Hammond, LA, Monroe, LA, Birmingham, AL, Montgomery, AL and now on to Spartanburg, SC.

:)

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

I never felt like I had just "one" hometown. I moved in 7th grade and spent the next 10 years is another town. I like towns that have a "small town" feel to them even if they are growing!

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for awhile now;) we are from NH and moving next week to Winter Haven FL and are so excited-and this post made me more excited to get there!

a boy a girl and a pug said...

my hubby was a yellow jacket too. he gets real ticked if i refer to them as bees. ha! i'm from kansas with some ruby red slippers.