Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A little Compassion.

If you're in the blog and Twitter world, you might have followed the Compassion Bloggers while they were in Ecuador. Each and every post affected me in some way. But it was Sophie's last post of the trip about sweet Jonathan that left me sobbing.

I’m ashamed to say that at one time I sponsored a child with World Vision but I called and canceled my sponsorship. With much conviction I tell you that I believe that was out of selfish need. It’s easy to think what is my sponsorship really doing and how far can my money really go. Oh my word, it goes so so far. It’s easy to doubt and of course it’s easy for us to hold tight to our money and think, Oh I just can’t give up $38, I have bills to pay. But seriously, the work compassion is doing is amazing, truly amazing!

So for all the Jonathan’s out there in need (and the many others), I sponsored a child.


Meet Darwin. We're birthday buddies. I typed in my birthday and he was the ONLY one that showed up and he's been waiting 6 months for a sponsor. It was meant to be. 

I believe in the cause, I believe in what they do. And I believe that Compassion is the hands and feet of Christ at work, and truly making a difference. 

I can't wait to see what my sponsorship does for Darwin's life. He's a 13 year old boy who has dealt with more than I can imagine. It might mean less going out to eat on my part but so so worth it to see the way God is going to move in this precious life.

So, today, I'm so so thankful for this boy and my role in Darwin's life.

10 comments:

Aishlea said...

Love your sweet heart. :)

Amanda Marshall said...

aww. I'm so glad you're doing this! I hope one day you get to meet that sweet little boy.

Linds said...

awesome! We're planning on doing this soon-- hopefully by the beginning of next year :)

Michelle (michabella) said...

This is awesome! You are helping in so many ways! And I am so sure he is thankful! I really hope to be able to sponsor some children.

Keep us updated with Darwin!! :)

kourtney said...

So sweet of you! With the same birthday, you two were meant to be! Your kind heart will end up helping him and hopefully seding him in a direction he wouldn't be able to go towards without you!

Melissa said...

I love that y'all have the same birthday! It was meant to be! :)

Anonymous said...

This seriously gave me chills and made my eyes tear up. It's amazing how god works through others :)

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

I love this! I have had one child from haiti, her name is Rosemine, since I was 17 years old! It's so fun and I hope to be a compassion blogger one day ;)

BROOKE said...

That's just beautiful, I love how there's still kind people in our world :)

Trina said...

This is AWESOME Lauren! I sponsor two kids through World Vision and it's such a great thing to be a part of.

Good for you!