Monday, September 6, 2010

Remembering my Grandpa!

A year ago today we celebrated 82 years of life and a homecoming.

One year ago today one of the greatest and sweetest men I will ever know, my Grandpa, meet his Lord and Savior, and on his birthday nonetheless!!!

That day I stood there beside him in the ICU room as he took his last breath and stroking his hair telling him it was okay to leave. A moment I will never ever forget!

I spoke at his funeral, read here. It was my first experience with the death of a grandparent. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do but yet the most peaceful thing. The words came freely and from the heart.

Grandpa, I look forward to holding hands again one day with you in Heaven!!!



I've shared this picture on the blog before, it was taken not long before he passed!!! And I will cherish it forever!!

Happy birthday Grandpa!! And until I see you again, keep that seat warm for me in heaven!

Love you!!!

9 comments:

Jordan said...

Thinking about you and your family today.

Melissa said...

I'm sorry for your loss

Kelly and Sara said...

My grandpas birthday was the 31st so I totally understand. Thinking abouy you!

Aishlea said...

Hope you are remembering the great memories with your grandpa today...thinking of you!

Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

Wow, what a wonderful picture. Dealing with the death of anyone close is always difficult. Here's praying for you and yours on this anniversary of that loss.

Rebecca Jo said...

I so love that picture... it says so much...

His Doorkeeper said...

How sweet to remember your Grandpa today. He probably would just love that! Such a sweet picture of you holding his hand!

BARBIE said...

This picture is very touching! May God comfort you as you remember your grandpa.

Kendra said...

This post made me weepy. I don't have any living grandparents any more. The other year I, too, stroked my grandma's hair, hugged her neck, held her hand, and told her it was okay to go to heaven if she was ready. Beautiful memory of your grandpa!