Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Be present!

It’s funny. There are some days I’ll get on this blog to write and know exactly what I’m going to talk about and then there are other times, like this morning, where I have no a clue and just hope something comes to me. I’m also learning that it’s okay to have those silent days. Those days where you just have nothing to speak of.

I thought today was one of those days, but then two words came to my mind. “Be present.”

And I’m going to roll with it.

God has really been stirring the pot in this area of my life.

There is so much that consumes our time and distracts us and keeps our attention. And wouldn’t you say especially where technically is concerned?

It so easily keeps us from being in the present.

Do you ever have those moments, wherever you maybe, you’re there in body, but your mind is totally elsewhere and not really taking in the here and now, that very moment, and the people you are with?

These moments in life are fleeting. Here one day, and gone the next. We can’t get it back. And as you can agree, time is not standing still.

I want to live with intention. I want to look back with no regrets.

I want to soak in every moment with my Mom and not take for granted the wonderful relationship I have with her. Because the fact is, one day she’ll grow old and I’ll be the one helping take care of her. The least I can do for all the years she took care of me, and STILL does.

I want to be a daughter of intention.

I want to soak in every moment with my sweet niece’s because I know one day they won’t be little anymore. They’ll grow up and have kids of their own and that moment will be here in the blink of an eye.

I want to be the best Aunt I can be with intention.

Ever since my sister moved, I realize that I could be doing more to keep that communication open. She’s busy living her life, and I’m busy with mine. But there’s no greater relationship than the one you have with your sister and it’s easy to take this relationship for granted. We’re in a difficult season right now. We’re in two different seasons of life. But our hearts will always be connected as sisters.

I want to be a sister of intention.

I want to invest in my friendships that God has placed in my life. And with Facebook and all the other avenues we can communicate, it’s so easy to depend on these. You need face to face, soul to soul friendships. No social networking in the world can replace that. When I leave this earth I want people to say I was a good friend.

I want to build friendships and maintain friendships with intention.

I want to make sure I am there in every way possible for my Granny who is battling cancer right now. You think Grandparents are going to be these constant figures in your life. But as I learned with the death of my Grandpa last year, that’s not true. I don’t know where this journey will take her and have no clue how much longer she’ll be with us. And that’s the case whether she has cancer or not.

I want to love and be there for her with intention.

This goes for school and work as well. I need to be the best student I can be and the best employee I can be and give it my all and not be mediocre. I am blessed to be able to get an education in a career that can benefit my future tremendously. I’m blessed with a job and not everyone can say that.

Again, this requires intention.

I often find myself with my Blackberry connected to my fingers, not wanting to miss out on a thing. But really, I’m missing out on what’s right in front of me. And that’s where I want to be.

Someday I’ll be married and with a family of my own, and living with intention will take on a whole new meaning.

But for right now, this is what’s important to me. This is what matters. This is here. This is now!

I don’t want to miss out on a thing.

I want to be present. And wouldn’t hurt to be present with intention.

5 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

So beautifully said!

In a world of technology where you have a phone, email, texting - so many things pulling your attention all at ONCE - this is pretty important stuff to acknowledge...

Awesome..

Aishlea said...

I have been feeling convicted of this very thing the past few weeks! Well said....... :)

a boy a girl and a pug said...

such a great post lauren! you always seem to blog what i need to hear.

Jenny Strickland said...

I love this! And its so true!

I tagged you in my blog!

Angie said...

Great post...I love it. Thanks for the gentle reminder!!