Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My sister, my friend!

Danielle-

As I watched you walk out the door this morning to head to college, I wasn't emotional as I thought I would be, but I know come tomorrow morning, when you're not there, then it will hit me. It has been such a privilege for the last 18 years to call you my sister. I know these next four years are going to be the best years of your life and I know you will live them to the fullest because that's one thing I've always loved about you, you've always taken advantage of everything that life has to offer. You've made me laugh so hard, your humor and wit, don't ever lose that. Our relationship hasn't been without it's frustrations, words that we both wish we could take back, and it's brought out the best and the worst in both of us, but I would like to think it's brought out more of the best.







You bring so much life into every room you walk into. There are so many characteristics and qualities that I see in you that I wish I had. How you never take life serious, but you know when there is a time to be serious. You find the humor in the weirdest of things. Or your incredible sense of style. You can rock any outfit and when you put on high heels you're like the mighty green giant standing next to me. Or how you're so incredibly athletic and I'm so not. It was so awesome to see you thrive in sports and to see you learn about what it means to be a a part of a team. My only wish is that I was able to go to more of your sporting events, darn school, but I hope you knew I was always there in spirit cheering you on.



I know at times we had a hard time relating to each other because of the age difference and our difference in personalities and being in different stages in our lives, but I desperately tried to understand you and at times I failed and each day I will try to understand you more and more so I can meet you where you're at and seek each day to find ways in which I can be a better sister. That's my promise to you!



We always use to swap bathroom clean-up duty and now I'm going to have to go solo! No fair! A matter of fact, I'm going to have to do alot of house duties solo now, haha! You always were the messy child and now you're going to have a dorm room to keep messy, but now you're not going to have mom to tell you to pick up your room, so Lord only knows what that room is going to look like, haha!! And colleges don't offer maids, sorry sis!





You were so busy and I was so busy that we didn't always have the time to do one-on-one, but when we did, I cherished those times, and wish I would have told you that more often! And so when you come home you better make some time for me, because I'll be counting on it. I can't wait to hear your college stories and live the college experience vicariously through you because I never got to experience it for myself. That's what makes me so excited for you, that you get to experience something new and someplace different. You're the first of us to break out of Leesburg, ha! But just remember, that no matter how badly you wanted to get out of this town, it will always be your home!



When you graduated, I was ecstatic for you because I knew there was such a huge world full of possibilities waiting out there for you. A world that sometimes won't always be fair, kind, or necessarily treat you the way you feel you deserve to be treated, but a world that you can also find great joy, satisfaction, and fulfillment in.





So as you've closed one door and open another... As you embark on these next four years Live.Laugh.Love, but most importantly enjoy every minute of it!

And call your sister!

I love you!

16 comments:

Justin and Jessica said...

Such a great post! :) You and your sister are beautiful!

Lindsey said...

Awww what a sweet post!

Anonymous said...

this made me want to call my sister :-(

Aishlea said...

Great post...very sweet! When my younger brother left home for college, I sat in his floor and cried! He drove me nuts most of the time but just knowing that he wasn't going to be there every day killed me........ I am sympathizing with you... Know it does get better!

Annie said...

Wonderful post!
Great pics of you two! :)
I feel lucky that my baby sister is going to a local college.

Heather said...

Sweet post Lauren! Great pictures!

Rebecca Jo said...

That is just so sweet...

Nothing... not even DISTANCE ... breaks the bonds of SISTERS!

jm said...

Aww you make me wish I had a sister!

Jacquie said...

Just caught up on your blog (sorry!). This was such a sweet post! Sisters only get better with age!!

How's the e-Harmony thing going??

yours truly... said...

What an incredibly sweet post!!! She is too blessed to have you as a sister...will you be mine too!?!? LOL!!

Kaitlyn said...

Wow, what a sweet post! This is lovely!

Why is she starting college in June? That's crazy early!

Unknown said...

What a sweet post!

The Southbay Newlyweds said...

Love the post! its hard...i went through the same thing with my brother...still am! he just met a girl..very serious and its hard!!

Loree said...

A very sweet hearfelt post. Good luck to your sister.

Nichele Lynn said...

I loved this!! I want a sisiter now :(

Unknown said...

this is the sweetest post!! Good Luck to your siser! She is going to LOVE college :) And you, pretty lady, are such a great encouragement to her!!