Thursday, January 22, 2009

Domestic Goddess

The above is a title I currently do not hold and have never been close to holding. I know, I will never be her...



I'm sad to say that I've never been the one to cook. Which is scary to think if I'm one day going to be a wife and mother. So I came across her magazine and snagged it and thought, doggonit, I'll give it a read. I know I would love to cook if I would just take the time to do it, that is all that's stopping me. And I love food, it makes me happy, haha!! I envy those people that can whip something up in a minute and are crafty! So I figured I would make a goal to try one recipe a week. Any suggestions on how to get started? Would love any and all advice you could give me. I really want to give this a shot, now lets just see if I can stick to it ;o)

5 comments:

Hillary said...

LOVE Paula Deen magazine! I love to cook but don't do it very often. I bet you're better at it than you think you are!

Lauren said...

I like your name, too! ;)

Thanks for visiting my blog from Kelly's...I just saw the pic of the cute little bow in Harper's hair!

As for cooking...I would find the foods you like the most (Italian, Mexican, etc) and try those first. It's always hard for me to enjoy cooking things I don't enjoy eating (um, like broccoli or baked beans). I love to bake, too, and that's usually easier than making a really big meal, so maybe you could start there? Just some ideas!

I love your top in your profile pic, by the way! :)

Unknown said...

Cooking is fun! Agree with Lauren about baking... cupcakes are easy and you feel really accomplished when you're done. One pot meals are good for learning too, because you don't have to worry about multiple things on the stove and timing and stuff.

If you like chili (and this is perfect weather for it!) that can be really easy to make. Grab a McCormick seasoning packet and it will tell you all you need to know. A pound of beef + can of beans and tomatoes + success! :)

Have fun!

The Nashville Nosher said...

I love to cook and would be glad to give you easy recipe suggestions! My favorite website is thepioneerwomancooks.com She sometimes does some more complicated recipes but she shows step by step pictures of each step! Check it out! Her chicken spagetti isn't all that hard to make :)

Heather said...

I love Paula Deen, oh they don't come any sweeter!! I love to cook and couldn't cook a thing when I married my husband, and now, well I think I do ok for my family. The biggest piece of advice that I would give is to just jump in and do it!! Don't set yourself up for failure first big meal, set yourself up for success!! I wouldn't recommend Lobster Thermador first time out, something simplier like a roast, in a crockpot with veggies. Know that every meal will not come out a "Paula Deen", but with every try you will get better and get more couragious everytime out!! I recommend a big wooden cutting board, a great knife and a couple of pans starting out. Whew, this is a long comment. I totally agree
with the other girls and it's not as hard as you would think!! I wanna hear how some meals turn out!!