Thursday, September 22, 2011

Oh baby.

Friendships back in high school seemed so much easier. 

Once you get out in the “real world” and get older friendships require a little more work and effort. As you step out of the four walls of high school eventually down the road comes marriage and a baby carriage. We just have different seasons of life that keep us busy and going in different directions.

Neither which I have experienced yet.

Back in high school I had a handful of friends that I could count on my finger. Too me, friendships are about quality, not quantity.

My friend Monica was one of those friends.

I stood beside her as she said I do.


And now….



A blessing on the way and nursery to get ready!

I stole these pictures from her, but don’t think she’ll mind, ha.

When friends are in different seasons of life it doesn’t have to be the make it or break it in a friendship. I have to gain a new understanding of why certain friends may not be able to call me as often as I might like, a better understanding of why the stretches might become longer in between seeing each other.

I’m realizing that I have to learn to extend a little more grace and not take it so personal. 

Monica and I had a chance to get together last night for dinner and catch up. It had been a very long time. It was so nice. She’s 22 weeks along and I still had not seen her cute baby bump. 

I’m learning the value of the friendships don’t change whatever the season might be but yes, the dynamics might change nonetheless.  And I’m learning that's okay and that it's normal.

And now there’s a baby shower to look forward to. Can’t wait to meet baby Matthews! :)

9 comments:

lg2006 said...

That is a really great attitude! I was terrible about this while my friends were getting pregnant!

Shannon Dew said...

It is so hard to maintain friendships the older we get but it's something that is very important. At the end of the day all you have is friends and family, afterall.

Emily said...

I am in my last year of college and the stress of friendships weighs so hard on me sometimes! I'm trying to get a job, keep up friendships, and everything else. It is so great though to see where older and younger friends are in life knowing that either you were there or will hopefully be there one day!

Lauren @ Dreams Take Flight said...

I can definitely relate to this! I was worried my friends wouldn't want to hang out with me anymore after I got married. :( Turns out they still love me just the same!

I have definitely had to adjust my attitude about friendship after college. It was so easy there, you see your friends all the time and hang out 24/7. Afterwards, I found out that some people aren't willing to put in the effort, and I can't waste my time wondering why they won't. I just have to put my energy into the friends who do! :)

Terri T said...

good friends are always so hard to come by! PS- left you some bloggy love on my bog today!

Lyryn said...

Always stay close. Friends that stick with you are something to treasurer. Trust me... she is going to really need you. Work hard at that friendship. :)

Holly said...

I'm the same as you in that I tend to take things more personally than they're intended. I really need to stop.

Mary and Dyer said...

That is so true about friendships. It is so easy in high school because you are pushed together through sports, classes, etc. Now (for me as a mom and wife) there are barely enough hours in the day for me to take care of myself and my family let alone friendships!! Glad to know that you are a great supportive friend to Monica and vice versa - so important!! xox

I just became your newest follower! I would love for you to check out my blog & follow back if you'd like :)

Blessings,
Kat
www.maryanddyer.blogspot.com

kourtney said...

LOVE that I caught this post of yours. I've been having some serious 'friend' issues and feel lonely! My best HS friends & I went to separate colleges & have since moved to different cites, etc. I'm the only married one & feel left out b/c I rarely get the phone calls, invites, etc. It's funny how you never know that you're going to go on separate journeys & hope you find your way back