Saturday, July 25, 2009

For some reason, that just made me feel grown up!

It's amazing to me how you can know you're grown up but not feel grown up, until something or someone smacks you in the face and says "Hey kid, get it together, you are grown up." haha!

Last night after work I went to the grocery store and bought some groceries and came home and made myself dinner. I bought some salmon so I can make my salmon recipe and had a glass of wine in hand. And might I say the dinner turned out delish!

For some reason, that just made me feel grown up!

Then the other night on Wednesday when I didn't have school, I found myself coming home and hosing off the porch and scrubbing and cleaning it.

For some reason, that just made me feel grown up!

Find myself taking out the trash all the time now just because of the simple fact I know I'm the only one to do it!

For some reason, that just made me feel grown up!

I do laundry and realize that it's only my clothes that I'm cleaning now because I'm on my own!

For some reason, that just made me feel grown up!

In alot of ways you can sort of relate this to our spiritual lives. God will over time, and the more and more we grow with him, give us responsibilities to make us grow up. He will never give us more than we can handle. Sometimes he's give us the hose so we can hose off and scrub those dirty areas away that we hold onto in our lives. And then there's taking out the trash, sometimes we just need to let go and let God and get rid of the trash in our lives that eventually will start getting really stinky and even an air freshner won't do. Then there are those times we need to do laundry and get rid of those filthy rags we're wearing and put on a fresh new garment, and only then would I say that laundry could actually be fun, haha!!

And just knowing all this, for some reason, made me feel grown up!

10 comments:

Natalie said...

What a great post, Lauren!

You'll be amazed at what you enjoy doing NOW that you didn't before - because the ONLY person you have to rely on to do it is YOU!

Shannon Dew said...

This is a great post. All of your posts are always so inspiring to me.

Tim said...

Lauren,

What a beautiful post! I so enjoyed this analogy and it is so true. There are many things we need to let go of and lay down as we give them to Him and its not always so easy. Thanks for the reminder of how important this is to our spiritual growth.

Hope your having a great weekend!

Love and Prayers,

Tim

Joyfulsister said...

AlohA lAUREN.
i ENJOYED READING YOUR POST TODAY, BROUGHT BACK ALOT OF MEMORIES. i'LL BE BACK TO READ MORE...

BLESSINGS LORIE

Rebecca Jo said...

Even at 37 - there are certain times NOW that I'll do something & its like "WOWWWWW... I'm really a grown up"... I think we always have those moments... always good to keep child-like fun in our hearts though! :)

HUGS - Love you Beautiful!

Jacquie said...

You're showing all the signs of "growing up"! A mother's dream!

Kaitlyn said...

Oh, I know how you feel. I made dinner for my friends last night and I felt so 'adult'. HA! It's def. a process and not an age, huh?

In This Wonderful Life said...

good post, lady! :) You are growing up...and God is showing you in lots of little ways...and it doesn't seem so bad :)

tara said...

Hey there! what a wonderful post, it is true the little things that make us feel grown-up! like 'um i'm about to become the mama of two.... am i really that old?! :)
not old, just grown-up!! ;)

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

For me I don't think that feeling of "I'm all grown up~wow!" has ever really ended. Now that I've had kids and am in the thick of that every once in a while I just get a jolt of that fact that I'm all grown up with children~how did that happen?
Good for you for embracing all these grown up things you're doing. Responsible things. Good things.