Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sometimes.....it just hits me like a ton of bricks!

It was last Saturday, I was driving alone in my car. I didn’t have anything to do. I was on my way to my BFF’s house to take care of her dogs that night because she and her husband went away overnight.

Then it hits me, I’m single.

Most of the time I really don’t dwell on it.

But it’s moments like last Saturday when I’m alone, no plans and nothing to do, and that’s when it really hits, I don’t have anyone like that to spend my time with, and it’s at those moments that I wish I did.

It’s a tough world for singles sometimes when the reminders are all around you.

Turn on the TV, there’s always a Lifetime movie on showing a story about two people finding their way to each other.

Go to a romantic movie at the theaters and the ending will undoubtedly be two people embraced in a passionate kiss and expressing their love for each other and caught up in the moment.

It’s in the magazines when you see an ad with a guy and a girl, and it doesn’t matter what the ad is for.

It’s when you’re walking thru the mall and you see that couple holding hands.

It’s when you’re in a restaurant and a guy and girl are lost in conversation and lost in each other and it’s like no one else is in the room but them.

It’s in the love songs you hear on the radio. (and maybe Beyonce’s “All the Single Ladies” too, ha)

It’s in the books you read that has that sweet love story tied in.

It’s with each Valentine’s Day that comes around when it’s just another reminder that you’re single.

It’s with each person who asks “So, are you dating anyone?”

It’s in every forward email I receive that says send this to 10 people and you will find your true love. Ha! Seriously?

It’s in every couple you come across and you just wonder, for that brief second, how did they get so lucky.

When people say… Oh, honey, there’s someone out there for you…. I know they mean well, but it truly doesn’t bring much comfort unless you start believing that for yourself.

My husband is out there, somewhere over the rainbow maybe? Who knows. In another state? Possibly.

But for some reason, God just doesn’t see the timing right just yet.

His timing is perfect.

His ways are not our ways.

The wait will be worth it.

He cares about the details and cares about the things that matter to us.

I realize it’s not about some people being lucky in love and others not. That’s not how God is. I truly believe someone is out there for every one.

I was watching Notting Hill this past weekend and do ya'll remember the part towards the end where she says "I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her."



Oh.My.Goodness... The sweetest part of the whole movie.

My singleness, sometimes…it just hits me like a ton of bricks!

17 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

I think we put such expectations on ourselves & the world... I mean, with the songs, the books, the movies... I get it... I feel the same way with not having children of my own... we're hard on women in this world.

Its easy to get down about it...& I know hearing "God's timing" doesnt make those feelings go away.

Praying for peace for you :) love you beautiful lady!!!

Shannon Dew said...

I'm not going to say what everyone says. I know it stinks. I think you have a great outlook on this situation and more people could take a lesson from your book. <3

Todd and Courtney said...

oh I love Notting Hill! My sister is going through a similar situation, at almost 30. Praying for ya'll...

Todd and Courtney said...

PS: I met Todd at an airport. Just go there and hang out alllll day long, ha!

Krystal said...

I totally agree with you! I'm still in the single boat myself and know that God has a plan for me as well!!

Jess said...

Boy, do I know how you feel.

BOOOOOYYY, do I know how you feel.

I KNOW there is someone out there for me and I will meet him in God's perfect timing. I just wish that I had a hint as to the timeline, lol.

That line in Notting Hill is one of my favorite movie lines, ever.

Praying for you!!!

So shay said...

Awww, I loved reading this. You are so right. When I was single, I felt the same way, so I completely understand. I don't know you, but you are beautiful, and any guy would be lucky to have you! The one thing my Mom taught me was, "Patience is key." God has a plan for everyone, some peoples plans come earlier in life than for others. Keep your head up! Love is just around the corner :) I know it!

♥ H ♥ said...

Hellooooo, do you not remember all my post last year about me being single?? Actually, I had my blog for exactly a year then I met K. Weird! I just realized that. Anyway, that's beside the point. I know it sucks sometimes. And other times it's not so bad. But honestly, I'd rather have fun single years to look back on than ones where I'm in a relationship and dind't get to experince being by myself. Idk that's just me trying to be positive. IF you need anything, you know how to reach me!! No worries love, keep that attitude and God will bless you when you least expect it! XOXO

Sadako said...

Aw, hugs. Thanks for posting the Notting Hill scene, though!

Spicy Magnolia said...

You are loved, dear Lauren! I'm thankful for you and pray that when those feelings sneak up on you, that the knowledge of Jesus' love for you would be much stronger than those other bricks!

Kyla Makay said...

It is very true- he is out there. Wait patiently- I PROMISE it will be worth it. :)

You deserve a hero.

Love, Makay

Kyla Makay said...

It is very true- he is out there. Wait patiently- I PROMISE it will be worth it. :)

You deserve a hero.

Love, Makay

Jacquie said...

I'm sorry, Lauren. I know there's little I can say that will make you feel better...just know that I'm praying for you.

Staci said...

Oh Lauren, I could have written this post word for word! We are SO in the same boat!!!

I usually don't dwell on it either, but sometimes it just hits like a ton of bricks.

One day, my friend...one day :)

Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

My heart aches for my friends who haven't found their soulmate yet. But you're right in that we don't know the plan for our lives - there's a bigger architect out there working things out... and things will work out! It just sucks hearing that over and over from those of us that are married, I know.

Unknown said...

Aw, I'm right there with you! Most of the time, I really don't mind at all, but other times... well... it really kind of sucks. :P

Two things that help me:

1) This blog my friend Lisa wrote: http://wasabijane.com/2010/why-i-love-being-single/ (okay, she did tell me these are also reasons she doesn't like it... but hey, perspective.)

2) Saying no to Lifetime and chick flicks. (I'm guessing I'm an anomaly in this group though... *sigh* ;))

Hang in there! We're in this together, right? <3

sandra said...

Yes, yes, and yes!!
I feel you big time!

Someday....